Robert Samut is a partner in our Insurance and Health team and is based in the Brisbane office.
‘I joined Barry.Nilsson. 20 years ago. When I joined the firm, I was very junior and accepted a general commercial litigation role. However, I was soon lucky enough to work on some professional indemnity files, which I found fascinating.’
Robert specialises in a range of areas, including:
- Medical negligence and health
- Professional indemnity
- Public liability
- Product liability
- Commercial claims
- Insurance contract advice.
He acts for insureds, self-insureds, underwriters and brokers.
‘As a partner, I’m very involved from the beginning of a matter, as well as extremely focused on the outcome. Most lawyers are very process-driven, which doesn’t necessarily work in their clients’ interests because it can be time-consuming and, therefore, expensive. I believe in adopting a strategic approach, which achieves better and more cost-effective results than blindly sticking to a process.’
In recent years, Robert has developed a special interest in medical negligence, and has acted on matters for the Mater Hospital, Uniting Health Care and Queensland Health. He has been listed in the 2015 Doyle’s Guide as one of Brisbane’s leading medical negligence lawyers and as a leading professional indemnity lawyer in 2016. Rob was recognised in the 2018 edition of Best Lawyers for Insurance Law.
Robert is also responsible for setting up Elevista Interactive Learning, Barry.Nilsson.’s educational tool, which has become very popular with professionals working in the insurance industry. He is a regular commentator on insurance and risk issues, and has published widely in the area. His recent speaking engagements have included:
- Speaker at the 2016 ANZIIF Liability Conference
- Moderator at the 2016 Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA) Sir Ninian Stephen Masterclass
- Participant in the Great Debate at the AILA National Conference in 2015
- Speaker at the 2012 AILA Conference
- Speaker at the 2012 Risk Management Institution of Australasia (RMIA) Conference.
‘I think that what distinguishes Barry.Nilsson. from other firms is the fact that we’re incredibly client focused. We also aim to be the best in the areas where we specialise. I think this is why we have such a stable team, with an unusually low turnover of lawyers. This is great for clients, because it means they benefit from having the same people working on their files and getting to know their businesses.’
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Graduate Diploma of Insurance
- Fellow, Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF)
- Member, Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Member, Medico-Legal Society of Queensland (MLSQ)
- Member, Risk Management Institute of Australasia (RIMA)
- ‘Privacy in an age of distrust’, 21 September 2016
- ‘How Facebook can be your friend in litigation’, 16 August 2016
- ‘How do doctors proceed with treatment when their patient can’t consent?’, 7 August 2015
- ‘Peer professional opinion; the facts are still critical’, 7 April 2015