Geoff Sinclair is a partner in our Family Law team and is based in the Brisbane office. He is a Queensland Law Society Accredited Family Law Specialist.
‘I began my career in a suburban law firm in Brisbane. It was a good grounding for me because I gained experience in a broad range of areas, including commercial law, family law, criminal law, defamation and insolvency. When I joined Barry.Nilsson. in 1988, I decided to specialise in family law. I liked it because not only is it about people, but you need to have a good understanding of commercial issues, especially trusts, property and tax. I suppose you could say that family law is interdisciplinary, because a good family lawyer understands how those other branches of the law intersect with it, and uses that knowledge to get the best result for their client.’
Geoff is extremely highly regarded by his clients for his ability to negotiate complex property settlements.
‘I think what distinguishes me and my colleagues at Barry.Nilsson. from many other lawyers working in family law is that we’re very pragmatic and don’t simply follow the process. I know that clients don’t usually want to have to pay their lawyers a vast amount of money, so I’m very focused on quickly identifying the problems and drawing out the key issues in any case I’m working on and trying to fix those, rather than spending time on the extraneous matters. In addition, I approach every matter very strategically. I also make sure I treat everyone as an individual, because every case – every situation – I work on is different. Finally, I never sugar-coat an advice. I’m totally up-front with my clients. That’s important in family law.’
Geoff is listed in the 2014, 2015, 2016 Doyles Guide as one of Australia’s preeminent family and divorce lawyers and as a preeminent family and divorce lawyer for Brisbane.
Geoff’s broad experience and expertise in family law are reflected in his contributions to CCH Australian Family Law and Practice (Essentials) and, currently, LexisNexis Practical Guidance Family Law. Over the years, he has published many articles on both family law and bankruptcy law.
Geoff has a particular interest in child abduction law, including its international aspects, and has published widely on this topic. As a result, he has developed a reputation, both in Australia and overseas, as an expert in the area.
Geoff is currently Chair of the Board of the World Congress of Family Law and Children’s Rights, which is dedicated to enhancing, promoting and protecting the rights of children and young people around the globe. He is also Immediate Past Chair of the Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia and a Director of the Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators (AIFLAM), as well as a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers. Geoff is also an accredited Mediator.
‘One thing we’re very concerned about at Barry.Nilsson. is preserving our culture. It’s the core of our practice. The Barry.Nilsson. philosophy is very simple. We’re a committed group of people who are focused on what we want to achieve for our clients and the firm. We’re no-nonsense and we’re pragmatic. We like each other as people and respect each other as professionals. And we’re dedicated to providing outstanding legal advice to our clients.’
- Bachelor of Laws
- Accredited Family Law Specialist (Queensland Law Society)
- Contributor, LexisNexis Practical Guidance Family Law
- Co-contributor, CCH Australian Family Law and Practice (Essentials)
- ‘Social media in the family law sphere: friend or foe?’, 19 November 2012
- ‘Family Law Amendment Bill: a step in the right direction and hopefully the first step in further reforms’, 4 March 2011
- Immediate Past Chair, Family Law Section, Law Council of Australia
- Chairman, World Congress on Family Law and Children’s Rights
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Law
- Director, Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators (AIFLAM)
- Member, Family Law Practitioners Association (FLPA) of Queensland
- Former Secretary and Executive Member, Family Law Practitioners Association (FLPA) of Queensland
- Former Member, Queensland Child Support Agency Liaison Group
- Member, Queensland Law Society