Will Stidston is a principal in our Melbourne office. He has over a decade of experience in family law and has practised exclusively in this area since 2010. In 2013, Will became accredited as a specialist in family law by the Law Institute of Victoria.
‘Prior to specialising in family law, I gained experience in commercial litigation, commercial law and criminal law. I believe that the exposure to these areas assists my approach to family law matters.’
Will specialises in:
- Complex financial matters, encompassing corporate interests, trusts, business valuations, farming properties and international property interests.
- Matters involving complex legal questions, including those relating to equitable interests, contractual principles relating to financial agreements, third party issues, issues of jurisdiction, the establishment of de facto relationships, and proceedings commenced pursuant to section 79A of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth).
- Urgent financial matters including spousal maintenance applications and ex parte injunctions.
- Difficult parenting cases encompassing relocation (both international and domestic), issues arising under the ‘Hague Abduction Convention’ and parental alienation.
- Urgent parenting cases including Family Law Watch List and recovery applications.
- Asset protection and the preparation of financial agreements.
Will has worked on a number of large scale multi-million dollar financial matters involving intricate corporate structures, together with difficult parenting cases involving international relocation. He also has extensive experience with respect to matters involving family violence, including Victorian intervention orders.
‘At BN I am lucky to be able to work with a team of recognised leaders in Family Law. I enjoy the broad spectrum of issues that my work requires me to address, encompassing both legal and non-legal challenges.’
Will regularly appears in the Family Court of Australia, the Federal Circuit Court of Australia and the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria. He also works closely with experienced family law Counsel, including Queen’s/Senior Counsel, when appropriate.
‘I work with clients from all facets of life. I enjoy working with them to understand the complexities of their family’s dynamic (whether financial or otherwise) and assist with the resolution of what, at times, can be extremely difficult legal issues.’
Will was named a Doyle's Guide Rising Star in Family Law in the 2018 and 2019 editions. Will has also been recognised in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers for Family Law.
Will has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and is currently studying a Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne.
Carpe Diem – the importance of timely advice in international family law matters
24 Jan 2020
Cyber threats to confidential and privileged information
15 Aug 2019
The High Court of Australia to consider the definition of “parent”
18 Feb 2019
Adjusting for Violence | Law Institute Journal, February 2018
02 Feb 2018
- “Resolving Family Law Matters by Mediation or Arbitration” – presented for the Television Education Network in February 2020.
- “Social Media and Family Law – Is it a recipe for disaster” – Presented for LegalWise in March 2019.
- “Social Media and Family Law: Dealing with Court Matters in the Public Domain” – presented for the Television Education Network in May 2017.
- “What’s Yours is Mine” – article in the Law Institute of Victoria’s Law Institute Journal, March 2017.
- “Justice, Equity and Alteration of Individual Property Interests” – co-written with Dr Anna Parker of Counsel for the Family Law Review (2017).
- “Are there really no strings attached?” – article in the Law Institute of Victoria’s Law Institute Journal, December 2012.
- Contributing author to the “Financial Agreements” and “Property – General Principles” sections of Thomson Reuters’ Encyclopaedia of the Laws of Australia.
- Previous presenter of “Case Watch” for the Television Education Network.
- Previous presenter to the Law Institute of Victoria as to the establishment of de facto relationships.
- Committee member, Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria Executive Committee.
- Chair of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria Property and Maintenance Committee.
- Committee member, Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria Courts Practice Committee.
- Member, Law Institute of Victoria.
- Member, Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia.