Sebastian Brodowski is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team. He joined the Sydney office in 2017.
‘Working in commercial litigation, I enjoy the challenge each day provides in being able to clearly identify, formulate, and articulate an argument or advice. I also enjoy the challenge that Barry.Nilsson. offers in relation to working on interesting matters where I can contribute to achieving the best outcome for clients.’
Sebastian has experience in all aspects of commercial litigation. Prior to joining Barry.Nilsson. he practised predominantly in property insurance where he acted on behalf of insurers in:
- subrogated disputes in common law negligence and nuisance claims
- product liability claims
- disputes involving the application of the common law along with the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth), Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth), Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and Home Building Act 1989 (NSW).
In addition, he has acted for insurers in fraud and indemnity disputes and advised on policy coverage and interpretation. Sebastian’s practice has now grown to include:
- public liability
- personal injury
Sebastian is an Accredited Specialist, Commercial Litigation, with the Law Society of NSW. He has experience acting in matters in the Local, District and Supreme Courts of NSW, as well as the Federal Court.
Sebastian has experience acting for commercial insurers, corporate and private clients.
‘The breadth of matters offered in insurance law means that I am constantly stimulated and challenged by the work. I also experience great satisfaction in being able to work closely with clients to provide a tailored strategy in relation to insurance matters.’
Sebastian has written a number of articles and presented several seminars to clients and lawyers on issues relating to litigation and legal practice generally, as well as on specific insurance topics. These include:
- Dual representation in legal proceedings
- Professional responsibility
- Practice and procedure in the Local Court
- Negligence and motor vehicle property damage claims
- Section 54 of the Insurance Contracts Act
- Exclusion clauses in motor vehicle policies
- The issue of unreasonableness in TPD claims
Sebastian has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from Macquarie University and a Bachelor of Arts (Communications) from what is now Western Sydney University. In recognition of his academic achievements, Sebastian was awarded membership of the Golden Key International Honour Society.
Sebastian is a member of the Law Society of NSW’s Litigation Law and Practice Committee and also the Professional Conduct Committee.