Sasha Jeffrey-Bailey is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team, having joined Barry.Nilsson.’s Melbourne office when it opened in July 2015.
Sasha specialises in:
- Public and products liability
- Professional indemnity
- Policy interpretation
Her work includes:
- defending litigated and unlitigated personal injury claims, compensation recovery claims initiated by the Victorian WorkCover Authority, and property damage claims;
- professional indemnity matters, focusing on the local government and construction industries;
- defending defamation claims;
- advising on criminal prosecutions commenced by the Victorian WorkCover Authority; and
- providing high level advice to insurers in relation to complex policy coverage issues.
‘I enjoy the dynamic and fast-paced nature of litigation. The varied nature of insurance means that there are always novel areas of law arising which I am required to advise on. I enjoy investigating the circumstances of an incident and analysing liability. I also find it interesting undertaking quantum assessments, whether it requires an evaluation of medical records in relation to personal injuries, or an examination of proof of loss documents such as in cases of property damage.’
Matters in which Sasha has acted include:
- successfully defending at trial personal injury actions against insured home owners and occupiers, which arose as a result of accidents occurring at their residential properties;
- acting for insurer clients in complex, multi-party personal injury claims brought by young adults rendered paraplegics;
- representing insurance claims officers at the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses into Child Sexual Abuse;
- representing a national sporting association in relation to a coronial inquiry;
- defending a claim against a manufacturer of agricultural equipment valued at approximately $950,000, and strategically utilising expert evidence to negotiate the discontinuance of legal proceedings against the manufacturer prior to the mediation;
- defending building professionals against claims arising from alleged defective work; and
- assisting insureds prepare for interviews with WorkSafe following workplace accidents or incidents.
‘Barry.Nilsson. has an impressive list of loyal insurer clients, which means that I am consistently working on interesting and stimulating matters for a range of clients. Each one has different needs and priorities, which I take the time to be aware of to ensure that they receive the best value services.’
In addition to her practice, Sasha is an associate facilitator for Barry.Nilsson.’s in-house training program, Elevista. She has also delivered a number of other presentations to insurance professionals, and published articles on a range of insurance and general litigation topics and cases.
‘As an associate facilitator for Barry.Nilsson.’s in-house training program, Elevista, I have been able to develop my own interest in increasing the knowledge of insurance professionals. The firm’s focus, through Elevista, on learning and development within the insurance sector mirrors my personal commitment to the education of those working in the industry.’
Sasha has a Bachelor of Law and Bachelor of Arts, as well as a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice. She also has a Certificate II in Local Government. Sasha is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), Women in Insurance and Young Insurance Professionals. In addition, she is a member of AILA’s Victorian committee and AILA’s Young Professionals committee.