Melissa Carius is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team, having joined the Brisbane office in 2012.
Melissa advises clients on issues relating to indemnity, liability, quantum and strategy. Her specific areas of expertise are:
- Public liability
- Product liability
- Medical negligence
- Coronial investigations and inquests
- Workplace Health & Safety investigations and prosecutions
Melissa acts for insurers, hospitals and doctors, and aged care providers.
Matters in which she has acted include:
- Advising a waste management services company in relation to a Workplace Health and Safety Queensland investigation and prosecution into an incident which resulted in the death of a worker.
- Representing a large rural hospital and 11 of its doctors in a Coronial inquest into the death of a patient.
- Successfully defending, during the pre-litigation process, a contractor at a major development site in a multi-party claim for personal injuries.
- Acting for the CTP insurer of a driver responsible for a fatal accident. The claim included a loss of profits claim by the plaintiffs’ business.
‘I enjoy the variety of work that I am exposed to at Barry.Nilsson. No two cases are ever the same, which keeps it really interesting.’
Alongside her role as a solicitor in the Insurance & Health Law team, Melissa has also become an integral member of Elevista, Barry.Nilsson.’s in-house training program. She has given a number of presentations on issues relating to general legal principles and also specific to insurance.
Melissa has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Business (Distinction), as well as a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice. She was awarded the Tom Cain Mooting Trophy for 2011 from the QUT Law School and was a sessional academic at the University of Queensland, where she taught at an undergraduate level.
Melissa is a member of Young Insurance Professionals.
Industrial manslaughter laws gain traction and a ban on insurance for penalties – WHS update for QLD and NSW
19 Jun 2020
Informed consent for Down’s syndrome screening: asking patients the right question
18 Nov 2019
Hospital & doctor not liable for alleged treatment failures following horse bite
30 Aug 2019
Work Health & Safety Update – Director imprisoned and $1M fine ordered under Qld legislation
19 Feb 2019