Melanie Rubin is a Principal in our Family Law team and is based in the Sydney office. She is a NSW Law Society Accredited Family Law Specialist, Collaborative Lawyer and AIFLAM Accredited Mediator.
“I began my career in Cape Town, South Africa, where I attended to a range of litigation matters. It wasn’t long before it became clear to me that Family Law was where I could utilise my skill set best. Using my knowledge of the key areas of the law to identify the issues and help my clients consider appropriate solutions allows me to support them in restructuring their families in a sensible and practical way, at a very difficult time in their lives, and be able to make a difference. I also find it rewarding to use my negotiating skills to try to keep clients out of court and help them to move on with their lives as soon as possible”.
Melanie delivers honest, practical and realistic advice in a sensitive, yet pragmatic way.
Melanie specialises in matters involving:
- Complex property/financial settlements (involving corporate entities and trusts)
- Parenting/children’s matters
- Child support
- Spouse maintenance for married and de facto partners
“I have a particular interest in keeping an overall settlement, out of court where possible, by adopting a sensible approach to unravelling complex business structures, identifying the pressing parenting issues and addressing how those might be dealt with. Together with my client, I develop a strategy that facilitates a resolution, so that my clients can get on with living their lives and raising their families. To achieve this I use a range of options, including negotiation, collaborative process, mediation, arbitration and court where necessary.”
Melanie holds a Bachelor in Law (Dean’s Merit List). Melanie is on the Register of Practitioners in the High Court of Australia, and is a member of the:
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Woman Lawyer’s Association of New South Wales
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Central Sydney Collaborative Forum
- Collaborative Professionals (NSW)
- Australian Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators.
Doyle’s Guide has recognised Melanie as a Recommended Family and Divorce Lawyer and a Recommended Family Lawyer for parenting and children’s matters in the New South Wales legal market in the 2021 edition.
Melanie was admitted to practice as a lawyer in New South Wales in 2003 after commencing practice in South Africa in 1995.