Mark Wiemers is a principal in our Insurance & Health team and is based in the Brisbane office.
‘I’ve practised in insurance law since 2002. Interestingly, I began my career working in a small, generalist firm in Brisbane where I did a little bit of everything. It was a particularly valuable experience, not least because it convinced me that I really wanted to be a litigator. It has also been useful because many areas of the law intersect with insurance law, so I find I’m often drawing on the knowledge I gained early in my career.’
Mark’s experience includes:
- Representing and advising self-insurers in relation to all aspects of statutory and common law claims under the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (Qld)
- Managing public liability claims on behalf of insurers and corporates with significant deductibles under the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002 (Qld)
- Managing dust diseases claims, both in Queensland and interstate, as well as pursuing recovery actions against other parties in respect of lump sum compensation paid.
- Handling property damage claims again on behalf of insurers and corporates with significant deductibles
As one of Queensland’s leading workers’ compensation experts, Mark currently acts for seven of the largest self-insured corporates in the Queensland workers’ compensation scheme.
‘When I work with a client, I don’t treat the management of claims as a process. By this, I mean I tailor a solution for each client for each claim so that we can work together to achieve the best possible outcome. Ultimately, my objective isn’t only to achieve a certain commercial outcome for a client, but also to ensure that the result reflects their overall business imperatives.’
Mark is listed as a Recommended Dust Diseases Lawyer (defendant) in 2018 - 2020 editions of Doyles Guide. He also works with the Association of Self Insured Employers of Queensland (ASIEQ) to provide educational seminars and events for employers and stakeholders within the scheme.
‘I believe that clients come to Barry.Nilsson. because of our strong reputation in insurance and because of our genuine client focus. We take the time to understand what our clients need, and provide solutions which fit. In addition, as a firm with offices all over Australia, we now offer a national solution, which makes our clients’ lives easier. We also have a strong track record, based on our superior legal skills, and efficient systems and processes. Importantly, as a firm, we have a reputation in the industry for not only being extremely knowledgeable but being very easy to deal with.’
Workers' Compensation and COVID-19 Series - Part 6 – Employer's common law liability for a psychological injury
25 Jun 2020
Workers' Compensation and COVID-19 Series - Part 5 – Common law liability for employers in the age of COVID-19
01 Jun 2020
Workers' Compensation and COVID-19 Series - Part 4 – Psychiatric injuries during the COVID-19 pandemic
15 May 2020
Workers’ Compensation and COVID-19 Series - Part 3 – Independent Medical Examinations in the age of COVID-19
08 May 2020
- Member, Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Workers’ compensation
- Dust diseases claims
- Public liability
- Property damage
In the News
COVID-19: Employees working from home not
automatically covered by WorkCover (ABC Radio 1:38:20) | 6 May 2020