Janine is a Special Counsel in our Insurance and Health team based in our Brisbane office. Before joining BN, Janine spent over 10 years in the UK acting on behalf of UK and international insurers, syndicates, brokers and self insureds.
Janine has extensive experience in public liability and property damage, specialising in:
- Public liability, including claims for catastrophic injuries with a particular interest in brain injuries and fatalities/dependency claims;
- Property damage including multi-party construction claims
“I knew I had found a home in insurance litigation when I moved to London and one of my first jobs over there was working for a Norwegian engineering and construction, oil and gas conglomerate managing their liability portfolio, specifically industrial disease or dust diseases claims. I enjoyed the investigations into the claims, learning about the medicine around mesothelioma and other dust diseases and the trend spotting and analysis that would allow me to attempt to forecast the movement of those claim in the market.”
On returning to Australia, Janine wanted to be a part of a team that enhanced the experiences and learnings she had attained in the UK – “I am glad I found that at BN.”
Her experience includes:
- Managing claims for catastrophic personal injuries including brain injuries, poly trauma, psychiatric and spinal injuries or injuries involving a unique medical twist such as an underlying condition leading to an exacerbation or acceleration of the primary injury
- Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002 pre-proceedings and litigated claims including interaction with the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 and the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994.
- Providing strategic and commercial advice on complex claims in relation to insurance coverage, liability, contractual indemnities, quantum and a pathway to resolution.
Janine is recognised in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers for Insurance Law.
Janine has a Bachelor of Laws as well as a Certificate II from the Charted Institute of Insurers (London) and is a committee member for Women in Insurance.
She has published and presented a number of papers and seminars covering a range of topics, her latest being a Top Gun Training series which included a session on Proactive Claims Handling. Most recently, Janine completed a 7 month secondment with one of our TPA clients gaining invaluable experience handling claims underwritten by Lloyds of London syndicates nationally.
Failure to navigate alternate route around obstructed stairs leads to significant damages award
27 Nov 2020
No Contributory Negligence Found for Worker’s Own Exposure to Risk
20 Aug 2019
Disregard of employee safety warnings results in significant liability for employer and contractors
22 Jul 2019
Step by Step: ACT Court of Appeal offers "infinitesimally low" view on Coles' Standards of Care for employees
16 Aug 2018