Jack Geng is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team and is based in the Sydney office. Jack specialises in:
- Financial Lines
- Professional Indemnity
- Class Actions.
Jack’s practice has a particular focus on complex corporate insolvency matters and high value financial services claims. Jack regularly acts for insurers, AFS licensees, accountants, educational institutions, and health and real estate professionals in a range of indemnity and contested matters. His recent matters include acting for:
- Various insurers in a range of high value indemnity disputes concerning allegations of insolvent trading.
- The insurer of an AFS licensee in relation to class action proceedings and the subsequent appeal arising from investments in exotic derivative products.
- The insurer of a collapsed motorway operator in three related proceedings, including the securities class action proceedings.
- An AFS licensee in relation to 150 separate claims by investors arising from the collapse of various agricultural managed investment schemes.
- Various health professionals in relation to AHPRA/HCCC investigations and disciplinary proceedings.
- Various not-for-profit and educational institutions in relation to taxation, employment, administrative law and human rights disputes.
Jack has a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts. He is a member of a number of insurance-related professional organisations, including the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG), Young Insurance Professionals (YIPs) and the NSW Claims Discussion Group. Jack is also a member of the Asian Australian Lawyers Association and the Law Society of NSW.
Previously Jack has worked as a judge’s associate and as a research assistant in contract law at the Sydney Law School. He has also lectured at the University of Sydney in International Economy and Finance.
Does the Royal Commission Recommendation on Claims Handling Pass the Smell Test?
06 Feb 2019
A case for insuring Civil Penalties
04 Sep 2018
Section 6 Civil Liability (Third Party Claims Against Insurers) Act 2017 (NSW) – does not change the onus of proof for out of time claims
01 Feb 2018
Top 10 Potential Coverage Issues for the Banks Royal Commission
14 Dec 2017