Jack Geng is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team and is based in the Sydney office.
He is a litigation and insurance specialist focusing on D&O, Management Liability and FI/PI matters.
Jack’s practice has a particular focus on complex indemnity disputes, corporate insolvency matters and high value financial services claims. He is regularly instructed by major domestic and international insurers, AFS licensees, accountants, educational institutions and registered clubs in a range of indemnity and contested matters (including criminal prosecutions).
As a litigator, Jack has defended a range of complex matters including:
- acting for an AFS licensee and ARs in relation to an application for special leave to appeal to the High Court (on-going);
- acting for an internet platform operator in relation to an ACCC prosecution in the Federal Court for misleading or deceptive conduct (on-going);
- acting for various registered clubs and educational institutions in various discrimination and human rights claims and investigations (on-going); and
- acting for various AFS licensees in relation to AFCA complaints, including derivatives trading, investments in MIS products, SMSFs, discretionary trading and tax advice (on-going).
As coverage counsel, Jack has advised and defended a range of complex indemnity disputes including:
- acting for a major international insurer in an indemnity dispute in the Queensland Supreme Court (on-going); and
- advising various major domestic and international insurers in relation to complex indemnity disputes including:
- application of insolvency exclusions in D&O and Management Liability policies;
- aggregation provisions in FI/PI policies;
- innocent and fraudulent non-disclosure;
- application of the Insurance Contracts Act;
- insurability of pecuniary penalties; and
- application of professional service exclusions in D&O and Management Liability policies.
Jack has a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts. He is a member of a number of insurance-related professional organisations, including the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG), Young Insurance Professionals (YIPs) and the NSW Claims Discussion Group. Jack is also a member of the Asian Australian Lawyers Association and the Law Society of NSW.
Previously Jack has worked as a judge’s associate and as a research assistant in contract law at the Sydney Law School. He has also lectured at the University of Sydney in International Economy and Finance.
Does the Royal Commission Recommendation on Claims Handling Pass the Smell Test?
06 Feb 2019
A case for insuring Civil Penalties
04 Sep 2018
Section 6 Civil Liability (Third Party Claims Against Insurers) Act 2017 (NSW) – does not change the onus of proof for out of time claims
01 Feb 2018
Top 10 Potential Coverage Issues for the Banks Royal Commission
14 Dec 2017