Hubert is a principal in our Insurance and Health team and is based in the Melbourne office.
‘I was young when I completed my law degree, but I was lucky enough to be offered an in-house position with the Australian Medical Association (Victoria), which nurtured my interest in tort law and, more specifically, professional indemnity. Since then, I have predominately worked in that area having practised in firms both in Australia and the UK.’
At Barry.Nilsson., Hubert specialises in professional indemnity insurance with a special focus on:
- Construction (including architects, engineers, building surveyors and conveyancers)
- Financial institutions (including accountants, financial planners and mortgage brokers)
- Health care
- Local government (including councillors and officers)
In addition, Hubert has extensive expertise in the following areas:
- Directors and Officers (D&O) liability insurance
- Employment Practices Liability (EPL) insurance
- Contract Works insurance
- Defamation law
‘I believe clients benefit from my technical skills as a lawyer. An additional area that I pride myself on is client care. I take the time to know my clients, including the pressures they face, and I work hard to make their job easier. You would be surprised how often senior lawyers overlook the importance of client care.’
He regularly provides risk management advice, including undertaking reviews of contract documents and policy wordings.
‘At other firms, quite often, there is an obvious tension within the partnership. At Barry.Nilsson., we genuinely work together and live the one firm motto.’
Hubert was recognised in the 2016 and 2017 editions of Doyle's Guide as one of Victoria's leading professional indemnity lawyers.
Combustible cladding in Australian construction – where to from here?
19 Feb 2018
‘Non-compliant’ cladding issues update
26 Oct 2016
Are claims for breach of the implied warranties in domestic building contracts apportionable claims? – An overview of the positions in NSW, VIC and QLD
16 Jun 2016
UPDATE: Building Legislation Amendment (Consumer Protection) Bill 2015 (Vic)
18 Apr 2016
- Member, Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Committee Member, Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG)
- Member, Building Dispute Practitioners’ Society (BDPS)
- Bachelor of Laws
- Master of Arts