Bronwyn Ackland is a principal in our Insurance and Health team and is located in the Adelaide office.
‘Barry.Nilsson. is an interesting firm because we all share the same values. This is quite rare, especially in national practices. I think we’re a thoughtful group of lawyers, which is reflected in the quality of our work. Most importantly, we’re united in our desire to provide our clients with exceptional service.’
With over 20 years’ experience in insurance litigation, Bronwyn specialises in:
- public and product liability
- professional indemnity
- dust diseases
Bronwyn’s experience extends to personal injury claims including catastrophic injuries arising from medical negligence, work injury and sporting accidents.
Examples of some of Bronwyn’s recent matters include:
- claims and investigations against dental practitioners
- a claim by a hospital inpatient who has alleged being assaulted by another patient during their hospital stay;
- investigating a claim where it is alleged that a surgical procedure was performed negligently resulting in kidney loss and multiple further corrective surgeries
- response to an allegation of inappropriate dosage of post-surgical antibiotic leading to infection and resultant tissue loss and scarring
- acting in respect of a series of significant personal injury claims arising out of mining incidents in both Western Australia and South Australia
- advising underwriters as to the potential operation of s54 of the Insurance Contracts Act to avoid policy response on the grounds of prejudice.
‘I began my legal career in the insurance team of a leading Adelaide law firm where I mainly did compulsory third party (CTP) work. When an opportunity came up at another firm to do more general insurance, I realised that this kind of broad experience would make me an even better insurance lawyer, especially from a commercial perspective. Within a reasonably short period of time, I became a partner. At Barry.Nilsson., I’m really enjoying working with a national insurance practice and the collegial nature of the firm.’
Bronwyn’s clients are diverse. They range from claims managers and professional insureds who are sophisticated and experienced litigators, to clients that are facing a claim against their livelihood for the first time and need more guidance, and are very conscious of costs.
‘I think clients find me approachable and easy to talk to. I also make sure that I’m available and responsive. I take a pragmatic approach to matters, and am very focused on resolving the problems my clients are facing. I’m also sensitive to what a client wants. This considerate approach goes to the heart of how I work with clients and try to make their job easier. In my advices, I’m incisive and succinct, but without oversimplifying the issues.’
Bronwyn regularly appears in the Federal, Supreme and Magistrates Court, Industrial Relations Tribunal, SAET and Coroners’ Court. She has also acted as junior counsel at trials and coronial inquests to a number of prominent South Australian Queens’ Counsel and Senior Counsel.
Bronwyn is a committee member of the Law Society Civil Litigation Committee, where she has been actively involved in a review and proposed re-draft of the pre-action rules and Uniform Civil Procedure Rules. Additionally, Bronwyn is also a panel member of the Law Claims Assessment Panel of the Law Society of SA.
Bronwyn is recognised in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers for Insurance Law. In the 2018 edition of Doyle's Guide, Bronwyn was recognised as a Recommended Public and Product Liability and CTP Lawyer in South Australia. She is listed as a Recommended Medical Negligence and Dust Disease Lawyer and a Leading Public and Product Liability Lawyer in the 2019 and 2020 editions of Doyle's Guide.
- Member, Committee, Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG) (South Australia)
- Member, Civil Litigation Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF)
- Member, Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Member, Women Lawyers’ Association South Australia
- Member, Law Society of South Australia
- Member, Flinders University Alumni
- Compulsory third party (CTP)
- Insurance litigation (casualty, property and dust diseases)
- Commercial disputes
- Wills and estates
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- Bachelor of Arts