Bianca Ponting (nee Horn)
Bianca is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team based in Brisbane. Bianca has been practising insurance law since 2009 and provides advice in relation to all aspects of casualty claims including general liability, product liability and property damage as well as policy coverage issues. She has excellent technical skills which assist her in obtaining positive outcomes for clients. In particular, her analytical and research skills are a real strength which makes her a 'go to' person for advice on difficult and novel issues. Bianca has been described by her clients “very approachable.”
Bianca has a diverse range of experience which includes defending personal injury and property damage claims as well as pursuing subrogated recovery claims on behalf of insurers.
Her areas of expertise are:
- Personal injury
- Professional indemnity
Bianca acts primarily for hoteliers, local authorities, construction contractors and shopping centres. Matters in which she has acted include:
- advising local authorities with respect to both public liability and professional indemnity claims, including issues arising from development approvals, claims for nuisance and occupiers' liability;
- managing construction and labour hire matters, including assessing damages for catastrophic injuries, nervous shock and loss resulting from property damage;
- personal injury claims against hoteliers and shopping centres;
- advising on the prospects of success and pursuing subrogated recovery claims; and
- defending product liability claims made against importers, manufacturers and suppliers.
‘I particularly enjoy handling claims that require me to consider novel or complex issues. I also enjoy undertaking investigations as part of my work.’
Bianca is experienced in conducting mediations and appearing in all court jurisdictions in Queensland. Although based in Brisbane, she also has experience in managing personal injury liability claims in New South Wales, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.
‘I like that our clients are all very practical. I also like the fact that they aren’t afraid to run a matter to trial in the event there is an important issue that needs to be determined.’
Bianca is recognised in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers for Insurance Law.
Bianca has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Arts (Criminology) and Criminal Justice). In recognition of her academic achievements, she was awarded membership to the Golden Key International Honour Society.
Bianca is a member of Women in Insurance and Young Insurance Professionals. She has written and presented a number of papers on case law as well as specific insurance issues and litigation generally.