Amanda Cann is a senior associate in our Insurance & Health team and is based in the Brisbane office. She has over 10 years’ experience working in insurance litigation.
Amanda’s areas of expertise are:
- Public liability (personal injury, property damage and product liability)
- Subrogated recovery claims
- Policy coverage issues
In particular, Amanda specialises in liability claims involving local government authorities, licensed premises, mines, building and construction, shopping centres and sporting associations. She has defended a broad range of public liability claims, including occupier’s liability, workplace incidents, sporting incidents, hoteliers’ claims and products liability, as well as defending professional negligence claims against local authorities. Although based in Brisbane, Amanda has experience in the conduct of litigation throughout Australia, in particular in New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
‘I enjoy working with a team of highly experienced insurance law specialists, who have a passion for what they do. I also like the variety that comes with my work, in that every matter has a different story and involves different aspects of the law.’
Recent matters in which Amanda has acted include:
- successfully defending a local government authority in a Supreme Court trial which involved a novel argument relating to nuisance and local government authority powers
- successfully defending a claim made by a labour hire employee in the Brisbane District Court
- a successful recovery action against an engine manufacturer by way of a six day trial in the New South Wales District Court
- the resolution of litigation against a government authority concerning wrongful advice regarding flooding and drainage issues and a claim for nuisances resulting from complex drainage issues.
‘At Barry.Nilsson. I am lucky to be able to work with a broad range of clients who are sophisticated litigants with a deep understanding of the insurance industry and the law.’
Amanda has a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management). She is Vice President of the Association for Women in Insurance (Qld).