Alex is an associate in our Sydney insurance and litigation team. He is a specialist in the financial lines, commercial litigation and professional indemnity spaces with a particular focus on D&O, management and associations liability claims. He also regularly advises domestic and international insurers on construction and medical malpractice claims.
Alex has defended a broad range of professional clients in all NSW jurisdictions, as well as a number of interstate and commonwealth jurisdictions, including the High Court of Australia and the Federal Court of Australia.
Some of Alex’s recent experience includes:
- Opposing a Special Leave Application to the High Court of Australia for a financial planner in a complex matter regarding abuse of process and equitable doctrines
- Acting for directors and officers in relation to claims following the collapse of a large media/advertising company resulting in a number of claims
- Advising various domestic and international insurers in complex indemnity disputes including the application of exclusions in D&O and Management Liability policies, innocent and fraudulent non-disclosure and the application of the Insurance Contracts Act
- Acting for a prominent Australian university on a variety of litigated claims brought by former students and employees
- Acting for a major Commonwealth health service at a Coronial Inquest, resulting in the recommendation of the Coroner that no criticism could be drawn of the service
- Acting for a number of barristers in litigated claims as well as unlitigated investigations by the NSW Bar Committee for alleged breaches of the code of conduct
Prior to joining Barry.Nilsson., Alex worked at two large national firms, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. This experience has given him a unique insight into the claims process from both sides, allowing him to get to the crux of the real issues in dispute, and implement pragmatic solutions at the earliest possible opportunity.
"Barry.Nilsson. has an excellent culture, built around client focused solutions. The firm appealed to me as it has allowed me the opportunity to work with technically exceptional lawyers on high quality work. I enjoy the challenge of working with insurers and commercial clients to achieve results which protect their interests and provide them with excellent results.”
Alex holds a Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws (with honours). He is the NSW Sponsorship Officer for Young Insurance Professionals (YIPs) and is a passionate advocate for the development of young professionals across the broader insurance industry. He is also a member of the member of the NSW Claims Discussion Group (CDG) and Australia New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA).