At Barry.Nilsson., we have the legal knowledge, and the medical and technical expertise, to handle any health-related matter.
Some of our lawyers have qualifications in science and other health-related disciplines, which gives them a deep understanding of these kinds of cases. Others have held in-house legal roles in major hospitals, which means they have experience assisting with a wide range of matters involving medical practitioners and allied health professionals.
Robert Samut, who leads our Health team, is highly regarded by clients for his creative and practical solutions to legal problems, and for his talents as a speaker and an educator.
- Our Expertise
We specialise in:
- Advising health service providers on a wide range of medico-legal matters, including providing one client with a 24/7 helpline advice service
- Resolving medical negligence matters
- Assisting with the resolution of complaints (including those made to the Queensland Office of the Health Ombudsman)
- Representing clients (including doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, midwives, dentists, psychologists, podiatrists) facing disciplinary hearings, investigations and reviews being undertaken by the various registration boards
- Appearing in a wide range of coronial inquests, including those involving neonatal, paediatric and maternal deaths, as well as those that have occurred in aged-care and assisted-living facilities
- Conducting internal investigations, including root cause analyses and clinical reviews
- Undertaking general reviews of hospital policy, procedures and by-laws.
- Our Approach
We listen carefully to what you have to say
Our approach is slightly different from that of other firms.
We want to really get to know how your organisation operates, and to appreciate the problems and challenges you are facing. That depth of understanding helps us to achieve the best outcomes for you.
We put ourselves in your shoes
There can be few more stressful experiences for a medical or an allied health professional than to face a disciplinary proceeding or claim of negligence.
If you find yourself in this position, you can be confident that we, as the lawyers for your insurer, will spend the time needed to understand the facts and to identify an optimum solution.
We’re not the kind of lawyers who sit behind their computers and send you the occasional email. Instead, we believe that, particularly in medical negligence cases, regular, clear communication is vital.
We will work collaboratively with you to respond to any complaint you are facing, support you through the entire process and, most importantly, keep you informed at every stage of your matter.
We work quickly and efficiently to achieve an in-depth understanding of the evidence
In health and medical cases, the evidence is often not only complex, but also crucial in understanding and resolving a matter.
This is why we provide you with a team of legal experts who have expertise in working in the health law area and who understand how to process, collate and analyse medical evidence.
We’re strategic in our approach to medical and health matters
We are strategic and tactical problem-solvers who look for fast, innovative solutions to whatever situation you are facing. Rather than fall back on a formulaic approach, we focus on managing risks and resolving complaints before they become claims.
This means we look at every situation not just from a legal perspective, but also from a practical one. Our clients tell us that they appreciate our fresh perspective, which is focused on delivering the best possible outcome in the circumstances.
Finally, if your matter becomes litigious, you can be confident that you are in the hands of a team of experienced litigators.
We provide advice that is clear, practical and extremely user-friendly
Ultimately, we see our job as making your life as easy as possible.
We know that, because you’re busy, you need advices that enable you to extract the information you need quickly and easily. No one wants to have to decipher pages of legalese or wads of case law. Instead, you want to be able to determine what we believe are the key issues in your matter, and what our recommendations are for moving forward.
In addition to being concise and to the point, our advices:
- Use a format for key facts and comments that assists with understanding the medical narrative
- Provide the explanatory detail you require to understand the key issues
- Refrain from quoting pages of case law and background information
- Provide clear recommendations
- Explain what you need to do and when you need to do it
- Use diagrams (if appropriate).
- Our Clients
We act for:
- Medical centres
- Medical device manufacturers
- Complementary medicine manufacturers
- General practitioners
- Medical specialists
- Nurses and midwives
- Allied health professionals.