Insurance & Health Law
- Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Claims
- Financial Lines
- Property Claims
- Public & Product Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
Employment Practices Liability (EPL)
Employment practices liability (EPL) insurance provides businesses and organisations with protection against claims made by employees.
These claims include:
- Unfair dismissal and unlawful termination claims
- Adverse action claims
- Bullying and harassment claims
- Discrimination claims.
Increasingly, EPL insurance is seen as essential cover for businesses, especially small-to-medium enterprises (SMEs).
As a company director, CEO or senior executive, it is important to be aware not only that EPL cover can be sold as a standalone product, but also that it is often found in Directors’ & Officers’ (D&O), management liability and associated liability policies.
- OUR EXPERTISE
Do you need access to lawyers with expertise in EPL claims?
At Barry.Nilsson., we regularly act for insurers and insureds facing claims that fall under EPL policies.
Our dedicated lawyers have backgrounds in workplace relations, which means they have a deep understanding of employment law and are well placed to assist with claims relating to:
- Workplace legislation and regulations
- Industrial relations legislation and regulations
- Equal opportunity and discrimination legislation
- Work health and safety laws, including critical incident management advice.
We are experienced in preparing submissions for, and appearing before, the:
- Fair Work Commission
- Federal Court of Australia
- Federal Circuit Court
- State and territory anti-discrimination tribunals, including the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT), Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), the New South Wales Administrative Tribunal (NSWCAT) and Equal Opportunity (Tasmania).
We are also well equipped to advise on coverage and policy issues relevant to employment-related claims.
- FACING AN EPL CLAIM?
How can we help you if you are facing an EPL claim?
Our priority is to ensure that we:
- Work with you to identify the key facts and legal issues relevant to your situation
- Manage your case sensitively, because we understand that legal proceedings can be extremely emotionally taxing
- Devise a strategic and commercial approach to ensure that your matter is resolved as quickly as possible, which may involve taking advantage of the conciliation and/or mediation process
- Identify any issues associated with reputational risk, and devise a strategy for moving forward.