Employment & Safety
Barry.Nilsson. has a national employment law practice with a team of highly experienced lawyers who specialise in the employment, discrimination and work health and safety.
Our team has demonstrated experience in workplace relations, meaning they have a deep understanding of employment law and significant insight into the types of claims regularly brought against employers. We regularly act for insurers and insureds facing claims relating to:
- workplace legislation and regulations
- industrial relations legislation and regulations
- equal opportunity and discrimination legislation
- work health and safety laws, including critical incident management advice.
Our lawyers advise clients across a range of industries including technology, education, building and construction, hospitality and gaming, retail and healthcare on:
- unfair dismissal and unlawful termination claims
- workplace health and safety claims (investigations and prosecutions)
- statutory liability
- adverse action / general protections claims
- bullying and harassment claims
- discrimination claims
- restraint of trade matters.
We are also well equipped to advise on coverage and policy issues relevant to employment-related claims. Additionally, we offer bespoke training workshops on employment risks, as well as relevant legislative and case law developments.
Our employment and safety lawyers have experience in preparing submissions for, and appearing before, the:
- Supreme Court of NSW
- Fair Work Commission
- Federal Court of Australia
- Federal Circuit Court of Australia
- State and territory anti-discrimination tribunals, including the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT), Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), the New South Wales Administrative Tribunal (NSWCAT) and Equal Opportunity (Tasmania)
- District Court of NSW
- Various state, territory and commonwealth anti-discrimination bodies.