Insurance & Health Law
Are you looking for a legal team with experience in insurance and health law?
At Barry.Nilsson., we have a reputation for providing clients operating in the insurance and health sectors with outstanding legal services.
Our national Insurance and Health practice covers all aspects of insurance, from policy drafting to claims management, the most crucial aspect of operations and profitability.
We are widely regarded as one of the top Insurance and Health law teams in Australia and were named Professional Services Firm of the Year at the 2016 ANZIIF Australian Insurance Industry Awards. Due to the quality of our advice and the standard of our service, we develop long-term relationships with our clients. In fact, our clients tell us that they use us because we not only achieve the best outcomes for their businesses but we’re more cost-effective than our competitors.
We have a deep understanding of the insurance industry; the result of our strong engagement in the industry. And, as a firm that has specialised in insurance law for over 30 years, we have relationships with insurers, brokers, self-insureds and re-insurers both in Australia and overseas.
Our national team of more than 90 solicitors, including 19 partners, has experience in all lines of insurance and in a broad range of industries, including:
- Building and construction
- Financial institutions
- Food and beverage
- Film and television production
- Health care
- Hospitality and tourism
- Local government
- Mining and infrastructure
- Professional services
- Sporting organisations
Are you looking for a team that can help you better understand the legal issues affecting the insurance industry?
We’re widely regarded as thought leaders in the insurance industry and our team hold leadership positions in a range of key industry bodies, such as:
- Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG)
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF)
- NSW Engineering Discussion Group
- Women in Insurance.
We regularly provide seminars for our clients on topics relevant to anyone working in the insurance industry.
Our ongoing support and commitment to the insurance industry is also demonstrated by our highly regarded training program, Elevista Interactive Learning. For almost a decade, Elevista has assisted thousands of insurance, broking and risk management professionals throughout Australia.
How can we assist you?
Our primary objective is always effective and efficient claims resolution.
Our commercially savvy, pragmatic lawyers can align their advice to your key business drivers. To get the best possible results for you, they will:
- Reduce the cost of claims through efficient management and resolution
- Provide you with high-quality and reliable advice on policy coverage and reserving
- Deliver innovative and rapid solutions to complex and high-profile disputes
- Provide you with insights on industry trends and legal updates.
Did you know?
11 of our insurance lawyers have been recognised in Best Lawyers 2018:
Megan Daniel | Jordan Farr | Michael Fotheringham | Andrew Hilditch | Lisa Hulcombe | Rhett Kennedy | Peter Murdoch | Megan O’Rourke | Rob Samut | Fiona Sennett | John Sharman
15 of our insurance lawyers have been recognised in the 2016 Doyle’s Guide:
Simon Black | Rhett Kennedy | Richard Leahy | Peter Murdoch | Melanie Quixley | Rob Samut | John Sharman | Mark Wiemers | Fiona Sennett | Peter Ewin | Nieva Connell | Hubert Wajszel | Andrew Hilditch | Bronwyn Ackland | Michael Fotheringham
Our Insurance and Health team has been recognised in:
Doyle’s Guide 2016
- Compulsory Third Party Law Firm - Brisbane and Sydney
- Dust Diseases Law Firm - Brisbane
- Medical Negligence and Malpractice Law Firm - Brisbane and Victoria
- Professional Indemnity Law Firm - Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide
- Public Liability Law Firm - Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide
- Workers' Compensation Law Firm - Victoria
Best Lawyers 2017
- Top Listed Insurance Law Firm – Brisbane Metro
ANZIIF Australian Insurance Industry Awards
- Professional Service Firm of the Year finalist, 2017
- Professional Service Firm of the Year, 2016
- Professional Service Firm of the Year finalist, 2015
- Law Firm of the Year finalist, 2012–2014
Meet the team
What our clients say
A good firm with good competent people; solid advice; run a pretty tight ship.
Very commercial and focussed on what we as a company require; not a template approach.
Efficient; accommodating; ready to assist when needed and without being asked.
Recent NewsView All
12 December 2017 Barry.Nilsson. Insurance & Health Law Partner, Fiona Sennett marks 25 year milestone with the expanding national firm Significant...12 December 2016
5 December 2016 Independent client and peer-researched Doyle’s Guide rates Barry.Nilsson. as First Tier Queensland firm in professional...05 December 2016
Tuesday, 1 November 2016 Barry.Nilsson. adds new Partner and workers’ compensation expert, Mark Wiemers to award-winning national insurance...01 November 2016
Recent InsightsView All
The Victorian Government has recently implemented amendments to the Working With Children Act 2005 (the Act) in accordance with recommendations made...22 August 2017
The Commonwealth Fund is a private US Foundation whose stated purpose is to “promote a high performing health care system that achieves better...14 August 2017
The Health Practitioner Regulation National Law and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2017 (the Bill) was introduced into the Queensland Parliament on...04 August 2017