Queensland's new waste levy could have you throwing money away16 April 2019 | General
With the Waste Reduction and Recycling (Waste Levy) Amendment Act 2019 receiving royal assent on 21 February 2019, Queensland’s new waste levy is officially going live on 1 July 2019.
The Act imposes the levy on operators of waste disposal facilities within a waste levy zone, but it is expected that these facilities will in turn charge users a higher fee for disposal.
What does this mean for you?
Commercial real estate lessors need to be budgeting and planning for the future, and the likely increase in operational expenses due to the waste levy being passed down the chain from:
- waste site operators to waste disposal services contractors;
- waste disposal services contractors to commercial real estate lessors via increased service contract fees; and
- lessors to tenants via outgoings.
To determine the effect on your business, we recommend lessors review:
- their waste management service contracts; and
- the outgoings provisions in their respective leases.
Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help reviewing your current arrangements.