Family Law | Wills & Estates


Are you looking for a legal team with experience in family law and estate planning?

For 50 years, Barry.Nilsson. has provided advice and support to people going through a relationship breakdown or a change in their family circumstances.

Our Family Law and Wills & Estates team is made up of a group of extremely highly regarded practitioners. When working on your family law or wills and estates matter, we focus on identifying the key issues and then approach each one very strategically in order to get the best result for you.

We also understand that every case is different. We take a customised approach, especially when it comes to financial and property settlements relating to complex business structures, an area in which we specialise. We tailor our advice to your situation in order to achieve the best possible outcome.

We have particular expertise in assisting clients who live overseas but have familial disputes in Australia.

We understand that going through a family breakdown is tough and that you may need both support and understanding. At the same time, we’re honest and don’t sugar-coat advice: it is in your best interest to know exactly where you stand from a legal perspective.

How can we assist you?

We’re aware that changes in family relationships and/or having to address succession planning issues can be extremely stressful. For that reason, our lawyers not only ensure that the process runs as smoothly as possible, but also provide you with the support you need.

We can:

  • Assist and advise you on your legal rights and obligations
  • Identify alternatives to litigation
  • Work with you to minimise the impact of legal disputes on children
  • Liaise with other professionals where needed, such as counsellors and accountants, to provide advice that takes a holistic view of your situation
  • Appear as your advocate in court
  • Be available to provide you with advice in person or in writing, by phone, Skype or email, whenever you need it.

To find out more, meet our Family Law |Wills & Estates team and sign up for our insights. You can also follow us on LinkedIn or contact us.

Did you know?

As a firm, Barry.Nilsson. has been consistently recognised as a leading Family & Divorce Law Firm in Doyle’s Guide 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

All five of our Family Law principals have been recognised in the 2017 Doyle’s Guide:
Geoff Sinclair | Don Leembruggen | Scott Wedgwood | James Steel | Jane Koelmeyer

Three of our family lawyers have been recognised in Best Lawyers 2018:
Geoff Sinclair | Scott Wedgwood | James Steel

Twelve of our family lawyers are Family Law or Succession Law Accredited Specialists; formal acknowledgement that they are leaders in their areas of expertise:
Don Leembruggen | Geoff Sinclair | Scott Wedgwood | Jane Koelmeyer | James Steel | Jarrad Mobbs | Allison Caputo | Kirstie Colls | Marie Dore | Will Stidston | Thea Davies | Elizabeth Mathews

What our clients say

Recent News

View All

Barry.Nilsson. family law team recognises exceptional talent

Barry.Nilsson. proudly announces the promotion of family lawyer Thea Davies to Senior Associate. Thea joined Barry.Nilsson. in May 2016 as an...

Family law expertise recognised across the board at Barry.Nilsson

National law firm Barry.Nilsson.’s family law practice has been bestowed an inordinate amount of formal appointments, the result of years of...

Barry.Nilsson. named First Tier Family & Divorce Law Firm in 2018 Doyle's Guide

Barry.Nilsson.'s Family Law team has once again been recognised in the annual Doyle's Guide, with 11 individual listings and two firm listings...

Recent Insights

View All

Adjusting for Violence | Law Institute Journal, February 2018

A recent decision has lowered some of the evidentiary barriers to obtain financial recompense for family violence in a family law matter. To read Will...

What’s Yours is Mine

In the decision of Tomaras & Tomaras & Anor and Commissioner of Taxation (2017) FamCAFC 216, the Full Court of the Family Court of Australia...